As with any sport, the clothing and equipment that you use are important. The Jiu-Jitsu Gi for big guys or small men has evolved over the years and, although modern manufacturers have tried to keep the look traditional, the modern uniform is a lot more practical, durable and comfortable. Modern fabrics and materials are used to make them last longer and fit better, allowing the wearer ease of movement and comfort.
The Gi used in Jiu-Jitsu has been based on the uniform that includes a heavy cotton jacket and reinforced pants which are customarily used in Japanese martial arts. They are known as either a kimono or, on occasion, the jacket.
The Gi must be made of heavy cotton or a similar type of material. The material must not be too thick or stiff to the point where it will hinder movement. The jacket must reach the thighs, and the sleeves have to reach the wrists when the arms are outstretched in front of the body. These criteria must be strictly adhered to under the rules of the sport.
With this in mind, let’s review a few of the more popular Gi’s available on the market for both beginner and experienced users.
Below is a table for easy reference:
Elite Sports Ultra Light BJJ Gi
A BJJ Gi should have a fit and feel as if it was specifically made for you. The Elite Sports Ultra Light BJJ Gi delivers this right off the rack. Stylish and well-fitting, you will never feel constrained in this Gi. The wearer will be ready to take on any challenge or opponent with a price to match.
- Made from a lightweight 400-gram Pearl Weave pre-shrunk fabric
- Reinforced stitching in the seams and other key areas add to greater durability and overall strength
- The fabric is treated with an odor resistant and anti-microbial compound, so you don’t have to worry about bacterial growth or any fungal infection.
- Available in a variety of colors and sizes so finding the perfect fit will be easy
- IBJJF approved and available in unisex styles
- Comes standard with a free white belt with stripe bar
The Elite Sports Ultra Light BJJ Gi is comfortable, highly durable and has well-reinforced stitching. There is plenty of space for patches, and with the added anti-odor and anti-microbial treatment, this is a great buy for training. Wearing compression shorts under your gi pants also helps greatly. It is recommended that you wash it in cold water as there could be some shrinkage over time.
Your Jiu Jitsu Gear Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Uniform
Although it’s not a well-known brand, the Your Jiu Jitsu Gear Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Uniform is still a high-quality garment and compares very well with other entry-level Gis in this price range. The Your Jiu Jitsu Gear Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Uniform is well worth looking at if you are in the market for a new good looking Gi.
- 550 gms Pearl Weave Fabric for high durability and low weight means it will be long lasting
- Pre-Shrunk cotton fabric limits the Gi from shrinkage due to washing and drying
- Completely blank appearance giving plenty of space for patches or logos
- Available in a range of sizes and colors
- Has a rubberized collar for better wear and added hygiene.
- Well-constructed allowing for freedom of movement
- Comes with a free belt on all the white Gi’s
If you are new to the sport and are itching to get on the mats, then look no further than the Your Jiu Jitsu Gear Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Uniform. A well-made, robust and durable Gi with no frills or fuss and with an extremely attractive price point.
Choose your sizes wisely as there have been reports of the Gi’s being larger than advertised.
Sanabul Essentials Version 2 Ultra Light BJJ Jiu Jitsu Gi
An elegantly designed Gi, the Sanabul Essentials Version 2 is known to be cost-effective and a go-to product for both beginners and experts alike. Sanubal rivals other more expensive brands for quality, style and great value for money.
An upgrade to the popular Sanabul Essentials Ultra Light, the Gi’s construction, and design has been improved based on customer feedback, always a good sign when a company listens to criticism and strives to improve on quality.
- One of the only ultralight Gi’s on the market today which utilizes pre-shrunk materials
- Available in different sizes and colors
- Ultra lightweight pearl weave fabric
- Tapered cut eliminates bagginess unlike some competitors
- Reinforced stitching on the jacket and pants
- Antimicrobial and Anti-Odor treatment of the fabric
- New size chart for the V2 accommodates most body types
- Has a stiff rubberized collar
- Great pricing and customer support and feedback
The Sanabul Essentials Version 2 Ultra Light Gi’s lightweight fabric makes it a perfect choice for summer training and competition. The lighter single weave material remains highly durable and rips resistant. It is, as for most Gi’s, recommended that you wash in cold water and air dry to prevent shrinkage.
However, if you do require the Gi to shrink a little, Sanabul recommends a hot wash and dryer to achieve these results. The only negative to this popular Gi is the tendency of the emblem to fray rather quickly.
For those of you who are new to Jiu-Jitsu and looking for an entry level Gi to get you started on the mats, you won’t go wrong when you select one of these high-quality Gis. They come at a budget-friendly price, great style, and highly durable materials.
Alternatively, if you are an experienced jiu-jitsu competitor looking for a cost-effective yet quality approach to training or competition, the Gi’s mentioned in the short reviews above come highly recommended due to build quality and features. You never can have enough gi’s to throw into your backpack.
The use of Preshrunk materials is an added bonus, so you don’t need to stress about shrinkage after washing, a no-no for strict uniform rules in competition.
I hope this brief review of some of the more popular Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Gi’s will give you an idea of what is available in the entry-level market. Once you have become more familiar with the feel of the mat, you can then get more selective when it comes to choosing the right Gi as you hone your skills.
Good luck and see you on the mats!